I am incapable of buying brown sugar. This should not be a difficult task – “buying brown sugar” is not complicated enough to ever be listed under Special Skills on a resume. But I can’t seem to do it.
Twice I have accidentally purchased demerara sugar instead of regular brown sugar. The first time was annoying; the second time I just felt like a complete moron because you’d think I’d have learned my lesson the first time.
Then, however, I learned to love demerara, in all its sticky, molasses-y goodness. So when I decided to make hermit cookies, it seemed like a great time to pick up some demerara and make some caramel-y cookies.
Except that I picked up regular brown sugar instead. Apparently I cannot tell the difference. In my defence, I was a bit frazzled by the time I got to the baking aisle – I literally just fallen over in the bulk aisle while buying dates. Some weird nerve things in my back have left my right leg a bit unpredictable at the moment and I stupidly crouched down to scoop some dates from the bottom row, putting all of my weight on my right leg, and toppled over. Have you ever looked at the floor of a bulk aisle in a grocery store? It’s dirty. Very dirty. And I had the pleasure of sitting on it. Ick.
Anyway, after that I just wanted to get the heck out of there. And in my rush to leave I grabbed regular brown sugar. Even after I got home I had to examine the package in great detail because I was so sure I’d picked up the right stuff. One day I’ll learn…
- 1 c margarine or butter
- 1 c packed brown sugar
- 1/2 c sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 + 1/4 c flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 + 1/2 c raisins
- 1/2 c chopped dates
- 1/2 c chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream together margarine, brown sugar and white sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt.
- Add to wet mixture and combine.
- Stir in raisins, dates and nuts (if using).
- Drop by spoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, until edges start to lightly brown.
- Allow to cool on baking sheet for about 5 minutes before moving to racks to cool completely.