This is our submission for the BC Fresh new nugget potato “Be Fresh” challenge. We wanted to create something that was accessible and easy but that still brings something new to the classic potato salad at your summer barbeque.
I have never had regular potato salad. Is that strange? I was a really picky eater as a kid, but to be fair, I still don’t see the appeal in it as an adult. Maybe it’s the egg? Or the sometimes gloopy consistency?
Growing up the only potato salad we ever had in our house was this amazing salad our mom made. It was a warm German potato salad with bacon and a vinaigrette-based dressing. I wish I could say that it was a family recipe passed down from generation to generation, brought from the German home country. Except it’s not. It’s from a Canadian Living magazine, because apparently all our family recipes come from Canadian Living.
This chipotle potato salad is a little bit like the warm German potato salad just in the sense that, unfortunately, this has no ties to our family heritage – it’s not passed down, but rather it’s brand new. However, it’s delicious, and that is just as important. And maybe my great-grand children will make it and enjoy it generations from now, with a family tradition originating today.
We used BC new nugget potatoes, also known as warba potatoes, which are an heirloom nugget potato with distinctive pink eyes. And while normally, I don’t want my food to have any kind of pink eyes, these potatoes are perfect for our spicy salad. Combined with corn, bacon, peppers and spicy chipotle dressing, you’ve got yourself a bowl full of colour and flavour- much preferred to a bowl of gloopy-egg-and-mayo potato salad.
|Chiptole Potato Salad||
- 5 cups chopped new nugget potato (~1 1/2 lbs)
- 1/2 cup chopped red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 3/4 cup of corn, fresh or canned, rinsed
- 3-4 strips of thick cut bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp buttermilk
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp chipotle spice mix (we used Clubhouse Chipotle Marinade mix) OR 2 tsp chipotle hot sauce
- Scrub and chop potatoes and place in a large pot. Fill with enough cold water to cover the potatoes by 1 inch of water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are easily broken when a fork is inserted.
- Drain potatoes and place on a baking dish and place in the fridge to cool while the rest of the ingredients are prepared.
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl.
- Once potatoes are cooled, combine with corn, bacon, and peppers in a large bowl. Add the dressing and stir gently to coat the entire mixture. Add the cheese and stir to distribute it throughout the salad.
- Let the salad chill in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours and up to over night to let the flavours blend.
- Serve cold.
We tried both hot sauce and a prepackaged spice mix and found that the spice mix made for a much more flavourful dressing than just hot sauce on its own, however the hot sauce makes for a much spicier dressing.