I love a good Chai Latte. Heck, some days I will even settle for a bad Chai Latte. But a good one just seems to hit a sweet spot inside me that makes me happy. And if I have a cold, a Chai Latte is the first thing I go for. Since I love them, and my husband also loves them, we typically pick up a package of Tazo Chai Latte Concentrate from Costco over the winter, but inevitably, we end up heading to Starbucks anyways, and the last carton seems to sit in the cupboard for too long. But I found something else to use up the last of the concentrate! Cupcakes, of course!
I went looking for a recipe for something special to make as a birthday treat for a friend. I wanted something a bit more interesting than plain old vanilla. And since that friend also loves tea, Chai seemed like a good one to try.
Most recipes I found use a combination of spices or 4 tea bags steeped in milk, but I wanted to use the actual concentrate and this is what I came up with: a light, but flavourful cupcake, and a tasty buttercream using more concentrate for extra zip.
|Chai Latte Cupcakes||
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 & 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 baking powder
- 1/2 cup Tazo Chai Latte Concentrate
- For Frosting:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp-1 & 1/2 tsp Chai Concentrate
- 1 or 2 tsp milk
- Cinnamon for dusting
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees/F.
- Cream together butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Add eggs and vanilla to the butter and mix to combine. Add the vinegar.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- Alternating between the flour mixture and the Chai syrup, begin to add about a third at a time of each to the butter mixture. Mix until combined.
- Fill 12 lined muffin cups with the batter.
- Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Let cool completely while you prepare the frosting.
- Beat sugar and butter in an electric mixer.
- Add the vanilla and Chai to the butter.
- Continue to beat and add one tsp of milk. Add more milk as necessary to achieve a smooth, fluffy texture.
- Pipe onto cupcakes.
- Dust with cinnamon.